Latest News

Three Things I Like About You

Friday, September 11, 2009 , Posted by The Law at 10:19 PM




As we head into Week 1, I have high hopes and expectations for the Jets. For the first time in quite a few seasons, I feel we have just about all the pieces of the puzzle in place. Sure, our QB is untested, and we’re missing the big #1 WR, but we have tools that make up for it. I really like our rushing situation and our defense. A strong ground game takes a lot of pressure off Sanchez, and defensive, as they say, wins championships. But I also have a good feeling about our season because I like our coach.

I was a big time Herm Edwards fan because he was quite the orator. I disliked Mangini because I felt he was bringing dirty New England tactics with him to the Jets. However, on the field, both coaches didn’t cut it because of conservative play calling, failure to maximize the potential of their personnel, and failure to adapt. Rex Ryan seems a bit different from our previous generals, and here’s a few reasons why.

#1 Great with the New York Media

New York is a tough place to play because the fans are fickle, the media is harsh, and we’re fast to blame and slow to forgive. It takes a certain kind of mentality to survive here, and Rex has it in spades. Let’s see he handles his first loss when times aren’t so happy, but right now, he definitely communicates openly and honestly with the press which will buy him so forgiveness points if the season goes sour.

#2 Our Defense Already Looks Better

In the Giants and Eagles games, the defense played well. What impressed me was the drives when the opponent made a huge gain to get them into the redzone, and the Jets were able to hold them to field Goals. Only a season ago, such drives usually wound up becoming touchdowns.

#3 The Players Like Him

It has been said that “player’s coaches” tend to have losing records. From all the interviews I’ve heard, the players feel like they can approach Rex with new ideas. Still he still is able to command respect as the head coach – he gets the final word. I never got the impression that playing for Mangini was any fun, and if the players are not enjoying the game, they lack motivation (see the Oakland Raiders).

Still, because I’m a New Yorker, I get to exercise my right to be fickle – if after the first game the Jets look like a bunch of unprepared bums, then I’ll be the first one to call them out!

Currently have 1 comments:

  1. Rene Tomes says:

    I enjoy ­N­­F­­L­­T­V­SHOW.C­O­M, it has a great selection of NFL games and I like the DVR functionality. The video quality is also good. now that they have added the DVR + 300 hrs of space and the series record option…

Leave a Reply

Post a Comment